I have health insurance. Whenever anything medical comes up, I see whatever doctor is necessary to hopefully alleviate the situation. Five years ago I was diagnosed by a dermatologist with a melanoma skin cancer on my scalp and had it removed by a surgeon, because left untreated, it would have eventually killed me. Because I have insurance, I see a dermatologist every six months. A month ago, a second melanoma was diagnosed; this one was on the top of my shoulder. It was removed today, but if it was not discovered and treated, the little misshapen freckle would have eventually killed me. I am among the 98% of the population that has insurance. Not all policies are created equal, but most are certainly adequate. The remaining 2%, or almost everyone not presently covered by any type of insurance will benefit with the health care law that was just upheld by the Supreme Court. Why should someone who is employed but not given any health care benefits by their employer, poor and can not afford any insurance, or unemployed without any coverage not be able to access reasonable health care. As most people know, the US is the only developed country in the world that does not offer every one of their citizens comprehensive medical care. The US is a country that has a political party and citizen believers of that party, who, because they do not like their current President, are willing to take an idea that was originally theirs and throw it on a trash heap. Some of the uninsured will get very sick and possibly die because they did not have insurance and did not have the economic wherewithal to receive proper medical attention. Apparently a large percent of our population simply doesn’t care because they are fortunate enough to have insurance or rich enough not to need insurance; therefore it is not their problem. A comedianne blogged today, tongue-in-cheek that a Republican talking point was “ObamaCare will force people to smoke medical marijuana until they turn gay”. The reason this strikes the funny bone is because it is only slightly more wackier than the talking points currently being expoused by some leaders in Congress, Conservative talking heads, Tea Party loyalists who carry placards which read “empeach Justice Roberts”, and others that have it in for President Obama.
I have family members that do not have insurance and know how nervous they are just to be around someone with a cold. And if that cold turns into the flu, they hardly can afford treatment, let alone having something really serious occur. I do not know when the “silent majority” will collectively come to the “enough is enough” conclusion on the sorry condition in Washington and the out-and-out lies of a Presidential campaign. I do know however that when someone who does not have health insurance gets ill, they will go to an emergency room for a more expensive treatment alternative. We all pay for that one way or another. Additionally, to treat someone at the onset for melanoma is a heck of a lot less expensive than treating someone with end-stage cancer. Hundreds of millions of dollars will be spent in the upcoming months misleading good people into thinking they are faced with a monumental tax increase, sometime in the future have to stand before a death panel, and /or be forced to smoke medical marijuana because of the sheer audacity of the President trying to have health insurance coverage for the most vulnerable and needy amongst us. Are we not our brothers’ keepers? Are we not capable of coming together to fix whatever problems that occur under the Health Care Act? Are the people against health care reform courageous enough to look into a person’s eyes and tell them that they have to wait more years or decades before they can take their ill child to a doctor immediately without fearing the very real possibility of medical bankruptcy? I hope this nightmare for four million Floridians and millions of others in this country will end as soon as possible, and it looks like it will only be possible with the implementation and fine-tuning of yes…ObamaCare.